Interior design, or what is known in some countries as decoration, is a very popular discipline in the present period. In this article, we knock on the door of specialization in interior design and related conditions, events and other matters.
What is the specialty of interior design?
Interior Design is one of the departments of the College of Design and the Arts, which is the arts and sciences to design spaces and the internal spatial environment in facilities and buildings.
The concept of interior design specialization is closely related to architecture, as it focuses on highlighting the spatial environment in its best form by paying attention to small details.
Although the attention to the spatial aesthetic component is old, interior design in its current sense is considered a new thing.
Even when the term decor appeared in the 1950s, it was not in the orderly way that design looks today.
What interior design is all about
– Psychological convenience.
– The material used.
The entire internal distribution of the building.
Aesthetics and decoration.
Design ceilings and floors in addition to the distribution of furniture.
Features of the study of interior design
- Freelance job without waiting for official jobs.
- The possibility of self-marketing of projects.
- Benefit from his knowledge in the care of home decoration.
- It is considered as one of the ways to make lucrative profits.
- It has become a prerequisite in engineering and map design offices.
Study interior design in Saudi Arabia
Many universities in the Kingdom have made it possible to study interior design for male and female students who have a passion for the world of design and the fine arts in general.
Conditions for joining the major subject Interior Design
- The student must be a Saudi citizen or a Saudi mother.
- He must be at least 17 years old.
- No more than three years have passed since high school graduated.
- His high school average should be no less than 60% for the scientific track, and 75% for the other tracks.
- Fill in the enrollment application manually or electronically through the university’s website.
- Preparation of the necessary papers, including copies of the certified secondary certificate, personal photos and the identity card.
- Pass the admission test set by the university.
- Success in testing skills and abilities.
- Pay the seat reservation fees and the first semester.
Are you studying interior design scientifically or literary as a major?
Since the specialty of interior design and decoration is sometimes associated with engineering and urban planning sciences, and other times with technical sciences, we find that most universities allow registration in the design specialization for students of the scientific track.
While students from the rest of the courses can register for an interior design major, provided the high school average is not less than 4/5.
Despite this, we may find a difference in the admissions policy from year to year, so it is always preferable to refer to the universities’ websites, and before that the Ministry of Education’s website to know the latest developments in admissions.
Interior design study system
The registered student is subject to a test before accepting his affiliation request for the interior design major, and below the test is the measurement of the student’s drawing skills.
Therefore, if the student is not good at drawing, it may affect the likelihood of his acceptance.
Study period in interior design
A bachelor’s degree in design and decoration is awarded after four academic years with eight semesters.
The number of study hours varies from one university to another, but it varies between 155-160 hours in most universities, and we find that the number of study hours for this major at King Abdulaziz University is 128.
Does interior design have a foundation year?
Yes, the first year is fundamental or preparatory, in which university requirements are studied, and some of the most important courses of the College of Design and Art, or Architecture and Planning.
A cumulative GPA of not less than 2.5 / 5 is required in the foundation year to be able to specialize in one of the departments of the College of Arts and Design.
Skills required by an interior designer
- Basic arithmetic operations.
- Communication and connection skills.
- The ability to access information.
- The drawing.
- Generate ideas and turn them into indicative drawings.
Departments of the College of Design
After successful completion of the preparation year, the student can register for the specialization he desires under the following design specializations:
- Interior design.
- Visual arts.
- Fashion design.
- Animation design.
- Musical design.
- graphic design.
Interior design material
The study plan for the major subject interior design is concerned with the basic principles of architecture and planning on the one hand, and art and drawing sciences on the other.
The study plan in most universities contains compulsory and elective subjects List of the most important interior design subjects in most universities
- computer design
- Interior design decoration
- Sociology and psychology of interior design
- Perspective and shadows
- Specifications, quantities and professional practice
- Special Topics in Interior Design
- Textiles and upholstery
- Display and export methods
- History of architecture and modern interior design
- Furniture design
- Specialized Furniture Design
- garden design
- Interior design
- Computer design.
- Decoration design.
Programs required by an interior design student
The design study depends on the use of various technical assistance programs in the study process, including:
AutoCad: It is used to draw charts.
3D Max: Used to display 3D imagery.
PhotoShop: It is used to show the general layout and 2D imaging.
Examples of some study plans for major subjects in interior design
You can also see the study plans for this specialization in some universities by visiting the following links:
Where can I study interior design?
There are many universities and scientific institutions in the Kingdom, whether governments or private.
First: some public universities
- Gazan University.
- Taif University.
- Taibah University.
- Princess Noura University.
- Jubail University College.
- King Bin Abdulaziz University.
- King Abdul Rahman bin Faisal University.
Second: Some private universities
- Effat University in Jeddah.
- Jeddah International College.
- Prince Muqrin bin Abdulaziz University in Madinah.
- Onaizah College in Qassim.
- Prince Sultan University in Riyadh.
- Dar Al Uloom University in Riyadh.
- Prince Muhammad bin Fahd University in Dammam.
- Al-Asala University in Dammam.
- Dar Al-Hekma University in Jeddah.
Interior design for girls
The specialization in interior design is considered as one of the appropriate specializations for girls for the following reasons:
- Girls enjoy wide imagination and great creativity.
- Possession of the girls, the artistic stuff and the beautiful taste that helps to distinguish.
- The dependence on the specialization of digital technology allowed the students to excel in it; It offers the opportunity to learn or work from home.
- Work in this specialty is characterized by its freedom of routine and monotony, which provides the opportunity for girls to practice it freely without restrictions.
- The major requires certain skills of his student, such as: good listening, persuasion skills, hard work and punctuality.
Is a major subject in interior design required?
Yes, a graduate in interior design is required in various engineering offices, where engineering agencies focus on providing integrated engineering services, from the moment of the initial design of the facility, to the planning of all the small details in the smallest spaces of the facility. building.
The specialization of design has become an urgent necessity; This is due to several reasons, including:
- The ease that the arrangement in the building space brings to the soul.
- Investing in interior design to create an attractive environment for clients.
- Compete with other institutions to get more promotional opportunity for products.
What are the career opportunities for a major in interior design?
- Works in engineering offices.
- Work in real estate offices.
- Works in companies interested in design.
- Freelance work.
- Design consulting office.
- Construction and finishing companies.
- Work in the field of training courses.
- Teaching in colleges and institutes.
- Work in research centers.
- furniture companies.
interior design major salary
Graduates of interior design can start earning while studying through freelance work on websites, or through self-marketing and customer acquisition.
It is also possible to get an official job in the government or private sector by applying for the announced employment examinations.
On this basis, the salaries of workers in the field of interior design are as follows, taking into account the level of practical experience:
- The minimum salary for interior designers is 7500 riyals.
- The maximum salary limit is 23 000 riyal.
- Work experience affects the degree and salary level.
- The salary includes other allowances and bonuses, such as: housing, transportation.
Would you recommend a major in Interior Design?
To answer this question, it is necessary to first mention the pros and cons of this specialization.
First: the positive
- Good source of income.
- An opportunity to learn the basics of drawing.
- The possibility of self-employment.
- Many institutions need it, especially commercial ones.
- Pay attention to the aesthetic appearance of your home.
- Develop artistic talent.
- Gain practical experience, such as: project management, communication with clients.
Second: the negative
- Struggling to find a job without sufficient experience record.
- He needs to focus on the smallest details.
- The need to enroll in training courses during and after university studies.
- Work pressure and spend long hours at work.
- Some clients did not interact with the aesthetic ideas suggested by the designer.
- Exploiting the designer’s family members and friends by embarrassing them by asking for free assistance and advice.
Also read: Physiotherapy majoring in Saudi universities and fields of work
And with that, we came to the end of our article in which we talked about the specialty of interior design and the key features that distinguish it, and what is related to it.