Many children are shy and antisocial children in their relationships, and this is evident from their behavior; Shy, non-social children do not accept to be in a place without the presence of their parents, and they stay away from strangers and do not approach them, unlike a social child who can live alone or people who are unknown to him is, closer; This means that “shyness” is one of the traits that cause obstacles in a child’s life; Therefore, parents had to train the child from an early age to become a social child. Meeting and dr. Magda Mostafa, Professor of Education at Helwan College; For explanation and detail.
Preschool age child
- It is possible to develop a child’s social skills from the first year of his life to the age of 6 years; By helping him play and make friends, playing is one of the best ways to teach him that.
- During the first three years of a child’s life, parents and siblings can play various games with him that help develop these skills, such as playing together by cutting blocks or kicking a ball.
- It is important to teach the child that everyone has a role to play, and the child must respect it in order to enjoy the game, and to teach the child that another party is involved in the game, and he must communicate with him.
- Children’s social skills can be developed by accepting other children and playing with them. In order to contribute to the development of their social skills.
- This is done by discussing with the child the games that other children may play with him, and here the parents must inform their child that he will not allow others to play with his toys for a long time, and that they will play. them for a while and then leave them.
- Teach the child the rules of participating in games he does not own, by doing fun activities that include moving on a song, or grouping balls of the same color together, with the need to not neglect any child and the participation of all.
- Games help build positive social relationships for children with their friends, and it’s an important thing to teach them in preschool; to develop their social skills.
Play training is an opportunity to make friends
Yes, by diversifying play, parents can discover their child’s interests and tendencies, develop his abilities to control self-discipline and his feelings, and stimulate his ability to express his feelings, thus gaining more friends.
By playing in the nursery, children can provide opportunities to have conversations with others; Which increases the shy child’s self-confidence and encourages him to be bold. By playing between friends, the child can speak for himself, support and encourage.
Here it is advised not to force the child to suddenly go to someone he does not know, but rather gradually; What helps the child to go to that person alone.
At home, parents can involve the shy child in social games at the beginning of the game, and then gradually withdraw while encouraging the child to control his feelings, explaining to him that his feeling of fear or shame is a normal feeling. and he can overcome it.
Avoid exaggerating the feelings of the shy child, and not staying permanently with him, this way he can not overcome his shyness, and you should strengthen the child and encourage him when communicating with others.
Parents ‘realization that they are role models for the child, the child watches what happens in front of him, absorbs and then imitates it, and the parents’ social behavior encourages him to transcend the situation, and that the situation will get better and more comfortable.
Learn more: The harms of violence against children
School age child
- Parents’ follow-up of their child’s social activities and practices, by supervising him and his activities, without directly interfering in his choices.
- It is important for them to intervene if the child participates in poor social behavior. So that this behavior does not develop, which affects his social interaction.
- Training the child to control his emotions, and to achieve this, the parents must control their emotions when a bad deed is committed by the child.
- Parents need to train their child to understand facial expressions and what they mean; Which helps him develop his social relationships.
- The development of the emotional side of the child, whether personal or his feelings towards others, by parents or supervisors in a simple way.
- Attention to family communication by engaging him in family dialogue and conversations, and discussions and conversations with him about how to choose his friends correctly.
- Set specific times to play, whether at home or with friends in their homes, and document these dates. When you invite this child to play at his friend’s house, it’s good to be with him for the first time. going to overcome the feeling of fear and dread.
- To help the child explain topics with confidence to his class students, by training him in speaking and presenting skills, and encouraging him to participate in school activities such as sports competitions and exploration activities.
Discuss what your child is doing
- Listen to your children while they talk, and do not interrupt them, especially in family meetings, and avoid comparing the child with others, especially with children who are confident.
- Constant encouragement of children to increase their self-confidence and self-esteem, by asking him about school or friends, in addition to discussing issues to which he may be personally exposed.
- It also enables the development of the child’s social skills by allowing him to invite his friends home, and to give him the opportunity to care for them and their comfort; It increases his ability to socialize.
- Also discuss the child with the social mistakes he can make, and give him examples of the mistakes of the father himself and the unsatisfactory consequences it had; This will help him overcome these mistakes and develop better social behaviors.
Learn more: Steps to understand emotional development in children 3-9 years
Reasons behind the antisocial child
- The child’s frequent exposure to situations in which he feels failure or uncomfortable may result in him not placing himself in future situations because he feels ashamed of failure.
- She is ashamed of bad family relationships or where there is no togetherness, or when she has excessive fear of her children and does not expose them to situations and experiences.
- The reason for shame in an individual may also be his excessive self-satisfaction and self-love, or inheriting this trait from a parent or family member; Genetics play a role.
- Shyness is a trait that can be learned, especially if the role model of the child or one of his parents is a shy person, and children who are constantly criticized by everyone and intimidated by their families tend to be shy.
- Lack of social interaction between the family and others; This means that the child does not have the opportunity to socialize with others, which can give him the character of shyness, and thus the lack of social interaction.
- If the child has a sensitive and emotional personality; He will probably be shy in the future, and therefore unable to make friends; He becomes an antisocial child, affecting him in the future.
Learn more: Treatment of delayed speech in 6-year-olds
Note from «Madam Net»: Before applying this prescription or this treatment; You should consult a specialist.