Remote work means that the employee performs his agreed practical tasks outside the workplace (such as the home) using information and communication technology such as smartphones and computers, and he does not have to move to the workplace such as administrative buildings or shops, and that is often with short-term contracts and for certain parties because the network In this era, computer science is one of the largest and easiest remote labor markets.
The financial remuneration for remote work may differ from the traditional system of a monthly salary, such as the hourly wage, the daily wage, or an agreed wage for the completion of a project in an agreed method of payments between the two parties at work in the contract that guarantees the rights of both parties, and distance work is one of the national initiatives launched by the Ministry of Labor and Development Social Work to bridge the gap between employers and seekers to work remotely and have obstacles to suitable opportunities for traditional work.
And remote work is important for both the private sector, the community and the employee, and we separate them into the following:
First: The importance of remote work for the private sector: This is summarized in the following points:
Increased productivity: The study from the American “Stanford” University showed that the productivity of technical support staff with telework increased by 14%, and the study from the University of “Texas” confirmed that remote workers from 5 to 7 hours or more work as workers in traditional offices, and this means that an increase in hours corresponds to an increase in production.
* Low turnover rate: This means fewer layoffs among remote workers due to less work pressure, bad feelings and negative energy in traditional work, and that teleworkers are happier and more satisfied at work than others.
* Increased working hours: A large part of the time is spent going to and from work and recovering the mental and physical energy to start working, especially for those who work in two shifts, other than distance work, which saves this time and the actual working hours due to the employee staying at home in his office.
Avoidance of external influences: The percentage of unemployment or delay in employment for remote workers is for many reasons less than that of traditional workers, including weather or road problems, accidents and overcrowding, who avoid all these external influences and their impact on job performance.
* Acquire unique capabilities and competencies: This is an opportunity for the private sector to take advantage of these capabilities and competencies by working remotely from anywhere, even outside the city or country, especially with the development of means of communication and the capabilities of teleworking.
* Save costs and expenses: by providing many of the salaries of traditional employees, transportation allowances, office processing expenses and accessories needed for operation, renting real estate in case of leasing, and other operating expenses.
Second: The importance of remote work for the community: This is represented in the following points:
Reducing the unemployment rate in society: by providing equal remote employment opportunities for all segments of society, whether healthy people, women or people of determination, who have remarkably recently emerged in remote employment and contributed to the reduction of the unemployment rate .
* Development of staff experiences: The staff are qualified and develop their skills and expertise faster for other work to help the community in various different areas, and this can be in charitable work in leisure time that benefits individuals and the community.
Reducing costs and revitalizing the economy: including reducing the funds allocated to building buildings and administrative offices, rationalizing energy consumption of all kinds, saving oil, energy and salaries for traditional workers, so that savings are targeted at the revival of the local economy, which contributes to reducing poverty and reviving local markets.
Reducing environmental pollution: Saving energy consumed in transport contributes to preserving the environment, reducing air pollution, reducing traffic congestion and maintaining public safety for the community.
* Good family communication: Remote workers are closer to their families than traditional workers because they are constantly at home close to the family and communicate with the family during rest periods, which we all saw during the period of the Corona pandemic (Covid-19 ) from family closeness and good and intimate communication.
Third: The importance of teleworking for employees: This is summarized in the following points:
* Avoid the pressure of traditional work due to direct relationships at administrative levels and psychological pressure of overcrowded transportation, organization of working hours, achieving work-life balance, and control of working hours.
Focus on work, especially in complex tasks that require the silence of the home more than the noise of offices and dealing with employees.
* Time saving, as it is estimated that the number of hours that can be saved annually is at least forty hours, and it can be more than that.
Save money spent on car maintenance, fuel, and the expense of external meals at the workplace and other expenses.
* Gain self-evaluation skills and gain confidence to work remotely without supervision while learning skills to handle technology.
Flexibility in choosing the working time that suits employees, leading to high productivity due to the convenience of choosing the right time.
* Ease and speed of communication in the follow-up of the practical procedures and tasks required due to electronic communication via the network.
* An opportunity for independence and the establishment of a private business for employees who have gained practical experience and meaningful relationships in the field of teleworking.
The challenges and problems of working remotely:
* The time difference: The time difference and the consequent communication problems for the remote work team weaken communication between individuals, weaken trust and spirit between them, and make it difficult for meetings to exchange data, data and results.
The difficulty of collaboration to complete projects: The dimension can cause problems in collaboration and coordination in the work on projects and follow-up among work team members, leading to confusion, poor productivity and shaky workflow, which requires a double effort.
Different cultures of the work team: – especially if the team is from different countries that include different visions, which makes it difficult to communicate with them, trust and kindness in dealing, and they need an in-depth understanding and study to cultural differences manage, appreciate and respect, and use them for the functioning and importance of the work.
* Follow-up workflow: – Work remotely without direct monitoring, control or follow-up. It is difficult to communicate between the work team. Therefore, the principle of transparency and clarity must be established among individuals, and it is considered as one of the basic principles of work to track its progress.
* Develop the team spirit: – To develop the team spirit in a homogeneous group and strengthen the bonds between the manager and the members of the work team or individuals between them, it requires tremendous effort, determination and cooperation of all to achieve it successfully .
* Technology and Technology Barriers: Traditional work offices are characterized by advanced and reliable techniques and devices to avoid any problems during work and a high level technical team facing remote workers such as slow or interruption of information network or equipment failure and other problems.
* Continuity of team motivation: Motivation is one of the challenges facing the remote work team to ensure the continuity of the required productivity and the continuity of performance at the same pace and more, because remote work causes boredom due to lack of change , so the team needs a big effort to motivate themselves constantly.
* Healthy work style: – Telework causes laziness and listlessness due to limited movement from the office to the bedroom at home, neglecting healthy food and being satisfied with fast food due to integration into work that affects health, and it requires movement and revitalize the body and take a break to eat rather healthy Avoid sugars, soft drinks, caffeinated beverages and exercise after sitting for a long time.
* Limited period of distance employment contract: One of the problems faced by some remote workers is the limited employment contracts, which make them constantly think and worry about their future career after the end of the contract, which affects their production and performance.
In conclusion, remote work is one of the works that has spread widely in the modern era due to the development and spread of technology, technology and the information network (the internet), in addition to the Corona pandemic (Covid-19) recently, which contributed to telework for a specific period and included various areas of administrative and accounting work Geographical design, advisory services, education, banks, the judiciary, and others, and remote work has become a global method common in most developed countries prevented and changed the concept of traditional work. The former, which motivates future generations to the idea of going to remote work and establishing their own projects due to the low construction costs, ease of work, speed of financial returns, and the availability and desire of qualified human resources for remote work.
* Quoted from the newspaper “Mal”
All published articles represent only the opinion of its authors.