Wimbledon starts on Monday without “points” … and Federer’s absence for the first time in two decades

Wimbledon starts on Monday without “points” … and Federer’s absence for the first time in two decades

The nominations are in favor of Nadal and Djokovic to win the title, with the Russian and Belarusian players denied participation


Friday – 25 Dhu al-Qi’dah 1443 AH – 24 June 2022 AD Issue No. [
15914]


Nadal and Djokovic are the two main candidates for the title in the absence of adults (AFP) – Injury missed Federer from his favorite tournament (Reuters)

London: “Middle East”

Wimbledon will start next Monday without the participation of Russian world number one Daniil Medvedef and former world number one Belarusian Victoria Azarenka, but the grass court major will not turn into an exhibition event, even if classification points are denied.
The 2022 edition of the world’s most famous tennis tournament will be held without ranking points, after the organizers decided to ban the participation of players from Russia and Belarus in the wake of Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.
The professional and professional associations described the move as discriminatory, confusing politics with sport, and stripped Wimbledon of the ranking points that determine a player’s ability to enter and rank tournaments, making them similar to exhibition competitions. But Britain’s Andy Murray, the two-time champion in 2013 and 2016, insists Wimbledon will not turn into an exhibition tournament with or without ranking points. The 35-year-old commented last month: “I follow golf closely and have no idea how many ranking points a Master Winner gets … Me and my friends love football and neither of us knows or cares how many rating points a team does not get. World Cup winner. But I can tell you who won the World Cup and the Masters. ”
Serbia’s Novak Djokovic, who has won the title in the last three editions, will lose the 2,000 points he earned at Wimbledon 2021, and will be among the many players who will be affected and ranked due to this decision. .
Japan’s Naomi Osaka, a four-time grand slam champion, expressed her doubts about participating in Wimbledon a month ago due to a loss of classification points, before actually announcing her withdrawal last week due to an Achilles tendon injury.
While Medvedev, the US Open champion, and Azarenka, who won in Australia in 2012 and 2013, will be among a group of names banned from competing, no player or player will be absent in protest of the decision. .
Organizers said it was the first time Wimbledon players had been disqualified on the grounds of nationality since the immediate post-World War II era when German and Japanese players were banned, but it was the only viable option given by the British government. .
Andrea Gaudenzi, head of the ATP Federation of Italian Players, indicated that the decision to strip Wimbledon of the classification points was “very difficult” and explained: “We understand that this does not mean that they woke up one morning and decided have to ban. the players, I mean there is a war, (the tournament organizers) were exposed under pressure from the government. There are logical arguments for both decisions. But on the other hand, they put us in a very difficult situation. Should we ignore it? I think it would have been a mistake, because we stand for fairness of classification, non-discrimination and equal access to opportunities for athletes. “
Russian and Belarusian players are currently participating as neutrals in international tennis in view of the suspension of the two national associations, and they have been allowed to participate in the French Open while not
There are restrictions on them in Flushing Meadows, America, after two months.
“Gaudenzi from Italy hopes that all tennis governing bodies will sit down after Wimbledon and decide on a unified course for such situations in the future.” We do not want to find ourselves in this difficult situation again, “he said.
For the first time in more than two decades, Wimbledon will also see the absence of legendary star Roger Federer, who is not recovering from a knee injury. Federer, who turns 41 in August, has undergone three knee surgeries in the past two years and has not played in any official matches since his Wimbledon quarter-final against Hungarian Hubert Hurkacz last year.
Federer won the junior title at Wimbledon in 1998 before becoming a professional in the same year.
Since his first appearance in the Grand Slam in 1999, Federer has participated in all editions of the tournament and won the title 8 times (a record) out of 20 major titles in his possession.
Former American tennis star John McEnroe, who has won seven major titles, said: “Twenty years of Federer’s art … You have to look on the bright side. You’ve had so many chances to see this guy play and win so many times. So we hope he is happy with every decision he makes. He is 40 years old. It lasted a long time. It’s cool “.
Earlier this month, Federer said: “I am definitely looking forward to getting back on the tennis court. I look forward to returning to top performance in 2023.”
McEnroe added: “Federer is a living legend. Everyone knows that. It embodies what you want for your children as they grow up. He’s the most beautiful player I’ve ever seen. (Rod Laver is my idol, and Federer is kind of the modern Rod Laver for me. “
The focus will be on Spaniard Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon, as he looks forward to winning his third Grand Slam title this year after Australia and France, and closer to combining the four Grand Slam titles into one season.
But Nadal’s hopes will clash with the ambitions of Djokovic, the defending champion in the last 3 editions of the English Championship. Rod Laver is still the only one to win the 1969 Grand Slam titles.
The Serb Djokovic almost achieved this feat last year when he won his first three major tournaments but lost to Russian Medvedev in the US Open final.
When Djokovic won Wimbledon for the sixth and third consecutive time in 2021, he increased his score to 20 major titles, equal to Roger Federer and Nadal, before the latter increased his score to 22 titles.
The 35-year-old has not won a major tournament since, as he was denied entry to Australia for violating the rules of the Corona virus and losing to Nadal in France, while Federer has not played since his entry. to Wimbledon last year.
Nadal’s chronic foot problem will be under scrutiny again, but his turn at Wimbledon, where he won titles in 2008 and 2010, could be more difficult as Djokovic has not lost in his last 21 games on the All England Club turf.
With Medvedev banned from participating and the absence of German second-seeded Alexander Zverev with an injury, Djokovic, first-seeded in the tournament, and second-placed Nadal will be most likely to win the title, especially since the draw each of them on a path to the final scheduled for July 10th.


United Kingdom

Tennis

Wimbledon

Leave a Comment