The tragedy of the murder of migrants on the Melilla fence has opened a new chapter of tension between Morocco and Algeria, after Rabat accused his neighbor of “laxity” in border control, in an incident that sparked widespread protests in Spain and Morocco has.
The Moroccan embassy in Spain did not hesitate to accuse Algeria, saying in a statement that “the attackers infiltrated across the border with Algeria and took advantage of the country’s deliberate lack of action in controlling its border. with Morocco, “according to the Spanish newspaper El Predeco.
And 23 migrants were killed from the two thousand migrants from sub-Saharan Africa who last week tried to storm the Spanish enclave of Melilla, from Moroccan territory, according to the official toll of the Moroccan authorities.
Algeria accuses safety of laxity
“The accusations fall within the framework of media propaganda and within the framework of getting rid of moral responsibility for what happened,” Taoufik Boukaida, a professor of political science at the University of Algiers, said in an interview with Al-Hurra said.
Boukaida adds that “the accusations are a condemnation of Morocco and its weakness in controlling its borders, and not an accusation of Algeria,” as he put it.
The Moroccan embassy says the migrants “were armed” and had “a hierarchical structure of trained commanders with profiles of militiamen with experience in conflict zones.”
However, Algerian security expert Ahmed Mizab believes in an interview with Al-Hurra website that “the follow-up to the development of illegal migration routes from sub-Saharan Africa to the north, and in the light of the security data on the increase in human trafficking and organized crime, realizing that there is no way for penetration from the Algerian border into Morocco due to illegal immigration convoys in the face of the growing crisis between the two countries.
Rabat attributed this unprecedented death toll to the incidents of “a storm and a fall of the iron fence”, while the United Nations accused Morocco and Spain of “excessive use of force” and called for an “investigation” of what happened, be done.
While the fight against irregular migration is an essential file in the co-operation between Morocco and Spain, human rights organizations criticize them for the “gendarmerie role” that Morocco has played in favor of the European Union.
These organizations defend the right of migrants as asylum seekers seeking a better life to escape conditions of war, famine or poverty.
And Algerian security expert Ahmed Mizab told Al-Hurra: “We are not talking about a crime committed on the Algerian-Moroccan border, we are talking about a crime committed on the Moroccan-Spanish border, “and with the logic of reason, we have to calculate the distance between the Moroccan-Algerian border to the Moroccan-Algerian border, because if that is true. In the Moroccan story, Rabat suffers from a security vacuum,” he said.
Immigration paper in the tension between the two countries
But the constitutional science professor at Ibn Tofail University in Morocco, Rachid Lazraq, accused Algeria in an interview with the Al-Hurra website of taking to the immigration document.
In his speech, he said: “The timing, context and circumstances of the incident make it clear that the Algerian regime is responsible, and that it is an open maneuver on the part of Algeria aimed at playing on the immigration card. “
In Algeria’s first official response to the Moroccan accusations, Ammar Ballani, Algeria’s envoy in the so-called “Western Sahara and the Maghreb,” said that what happened in Melilla last Friday was the fault of Morocco.
“These tragic events shed light on the systematic violation of human rights by a country that, on the one hand, has chosen to exploit the ghost of immigration for the purpose of political blackmail,” Blani told Algerian media in a statement.
In light of these scenes, the United Nations criticized Madrid and Rabat for using “excessive force” during Friday’s events, describing it as “unacceptable.”
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said: “We were shocked by the violent scenes that took place at the border between Morocco and Spain in North Africa over the weekend, which led to the deaths of dozens of asylum seekers and migrants.”
The Spanish public prosecutor on Tuesday announced the opening of an investigation into the deaths of migrants.
The Spanish public prosecutor’s office said in a statement that it had called for an “investigation to shed light on what happened” hours after the United Nations called for an independent inquiry into the tragedy, the deadliest ever, at the border. between Morocco and the Spanish enclaves. of Ceuta and Melilla, which forms the only European Union border with Morocco, Africa.
In his interview with Al-Hurra, Lazraq believes that what happened necessitates an “international investigation”.
Spain avoided accompanying the Moroccan version of what happened, and Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Alparis called for the killings of the migrants to be clarified, and Paris refused to point out those responsible. , as Morocco did, according to the Spanish newspaper, The Objective.
Several demonstrations took place on Friday night in several Spanish cities and in Rabat in protest against the tragedy in Melilla.
This tragedy came in the context of the resumption of cooperation between Morocco and Spain to address irregular migration following the recent normalization of their diplomatic relations, followed by an intensification of the persecution of migrants in the border areas, according to human rights activists.