Inspector General Joseph Ghafari met the group behind closed doors two days after the letter was sent to MPs. Capital assault.
After the January 6 meeting, committee members expressed their concern about the different versions of events between the Inspector General and the Secret Service and insisted that they wanted to hear from the agency.
Al-Qafari told the commission on January 6 that the Secret Service had not reviewed its subsequent actions and relied on the inspector general’s investigation. The inspector general told the commission that the Secret Service had not fully cooperated with his investigation.
The source said that Al-Qafari’s explanation gave the impression that the intelligence service had “switched off the electricity”. The inspector general told the commission he did not have full access to the staff and records.
Ghafari said he had raised the issue more than once with Home Security Minister Alejandro Mallorcas and was told to keep trying to get the information. In the end, Al Kaffary decided to go to Congress because he got nowhere with his concerns within the Department of Homeland Security. Separately, a law enforcer told CNN that Kovari was going to Mallorcas.
The Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Homeland Security (OIG) and the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 attack on the capital of the United States has confirmed and will continue to obtain the information they request. , ”said the Department of Homeland Security. in a statement.
Thompson told CNN during their meeting that the secret service did not fully cooperate.
“Well, they did not fully cooperate,” the Mississippi Democrat said, adding: “We had limited involvement in the Secret Service. We will continue with some additional involvement after meeting with IG. “
Thompson said the group will work to “see if those texts can be revived”.
The congressman told CNN earlier after the meeting that the committee would have to meet with Secret Service officials to find out what happened in the deleted text messages on January 5 and 6, 2021.
“We now have an IG view of what happened,” Thompson said. We must now speak to the Secret Service and expect to be in direct contact with them. ” “One thing we need to make sure is that what the secret service says and what IG says, those two issues are really the same thing. And now we have it now, we’ll listen to it. Essential information and we’ll make a decision ourselves take.”
Representative Jimmy Raskin, a Maryland Democrat serving on the Jan. 6 committee, told CNN that there appears to be some “contradictory reporting” between the Inspector General of Homeland Security and the Secret Service about whether the text messages came from the Secret Service in January. 5. And 6, 2021, they are already gone.
“First, the department informed us that several text messages from the US Secret Service were destroyed from January 5 to 6, 2021 as part of the device replacement program. The USSS destroyed those text messages after the Office of the Inspector General requested records of electronic communications from the USSS. Review events at the Capitol on January 6 as part of it, Ghafari said in the letter.
“Second, DHS staff have repeatedly told OIG inspectors that they are not allowed to submit records directly to OIG and that such records should first be reviewed by DHS attorneys,” Kaffari added. “This review has led to weeks of delays in receiving OIG records and has created confusion as to whether or not all records were produced.”
A Department of Homeland Security official provided CNN with a timeline of what the Secret Service reported to IG about the missing information caused by the data transfer. In a statement Thursday night, the Secret Service said IG had been requesting the information since February 26, 2021, but did not specify when the agency acknowledged the issue.
According to a DHS official, the Secret Service reported the immigration issue to the IG on several occasions, starting on May 4, 2021, and then again on December 14, 2021 and February 2022.
In a statement issued Thursday night, the Secret Service said the inspector general’s allegation of lack of cooperation was “neither accurate nor new.”
“On the other hand, the Department of Homeland Security claimed that the office of the Inspector General had previously refused his employees adequate and timely access to material due to a lawyer’s review. The Department of Homeland Security has repeatedly denied this claim publicly, including in the last two semi-annual reports of the Office of the Inspector General in response to Congress. It is not clear why. This raises the issue again. “
The law enforcement officer said that IG, after initially requesting records from more than 20 people in February, returned to request additional records for additional people. The law enforcer said there were no text messages for the new order because it was lost in the computer transfer. The official said the agency was informed of the change and sent instructions from the IT department on how to secure phone records.
It would make sense for the Inspector General to do a review after Jan. From the point of view of the secret service, both the president and vice-president remain safe. , so the agency is not considering reviewing an incident in a post-action report, Wagrow said.
This story was updated Friday with additional updates.
Priscilla Alvarez and Morgan Reimer of CNN contributed to this report.