The Farouk Corner Museum or Farouk Royal Rest House is located 30 km from Cairo. The total area of the building and the garden is approximately 11,600 square meters. The museum was built between the years (1941-1942) and it was opened by King Farouk on September 5, 1942..
Farouk’s Corner was formerly known as a winter retreat for King Farouk, which in turn has been transformed into a historical museum that includes some of the possessions of the top family in Egypt
Farouk Corner Museum is located directly on the Nile, 6 km west of Helwan, in the south of Cairo. In the past, the Italian architect, Arsan Giovan, chose this place in 1916, to set up his own place for tea and relaxation . This place was affiliated with the Grand Hotel, and in 1932 AD the rich Egyptian Mohamed Bey Hafez bought it, and in 1935 AD King Farouk saw him and liked the place and decided to buy it, because of the fame of this place for its calm and clean, healthy atmosphere free from pollution, where the sulfur water where some people go for treatment and hospitalization, and it was indeed bought for an amount of 2000 Egyptian pounds, The then Minister of Works, Mustafa Pasha Fahmy, was entrusted with the construction of the royal rest house known as Farouk’s Corner. The construction of the toilet began in 1941 AD, and it was opened by King Farouk on the fifth of September 1942 AD..
The corner is a royal living room designed from the outside in the shape of a boat moored on the bank of the Nile. The iron columns on the roof are fastened with curtains that give the shape of the sails of the boat. There are also stone terraces on the beach that were used to sit and enjoy the view of the Nile, and to practice fishing, and the river marina for rest was designed to receive yachts and large ships, and the garden for the the rest is decorated with a wooden pergola with vases, and limestone planters, and this garden also includes 33 mango trees of a species rarely grown in Egypt that were brought from Albania to the royal palaces..
The corner is built inside in a modern style and has three floors:
● The ground floor (basement), and it has a large gate at the back of the palace and includes the kitchen, servants’ quarters and its accessories, and in the foreground of the museum there is a bronze statue with a marble base of a normal -sized woman dressed in pharaonic costume and on her head the crown of life playing the instrument of the refugee and this statue is known as the lady of the refugee, in addition to a bronze sphinx, as well as a desk clock made of gold-plated metal. It also has the throne of Egypt and the heater for the winter rest, and in front of it there is a statue in the shape of a peacock. In exchange for the king’s trip to the pyramid rest .
● The first floor, which is the main floor for the toilet. In the foreground there is a marble staircase leading to the outer hall leading to the inner hall, and from there to two dining rooms and another hall for smoking, and a balcony overlooking the Nile in addition to an eastern and west terrace for tea.
The first floor contains three bedrooms, a private room for Queen Nariman, King Farouk’s second wife, and includes her own bed, a mirror and a photo of her with King Farouk at their wedding ceremony, in addition to a small bed for Crown Prince Ahmed Fouad. The most important thing that catches the eye in the place is a group of brides given to the two former Egyptian queens Farida and Nariman, who count 379 brides from 33 countries, in different outfits. In front of the room is an oil painting. of the king at the age of 12, and the third room is for Princess Fawzia, sister of King Farouk. There is also a solar bathroom on the floor, which was used by the king for the purpose of sunbathing, relaxing and having a massage..
● As for the second floor, it contains wonderful paintings by the most famous artists of the world at the time, including the painting of Old Cairo by Echomann, and the statue of the Egyptian farmer and the jar of antimony by the French artist Charles Cordier, dating from 1866 AD The chair is written in golden water, in addition to the foundation plate for the rest. There is also the golden throne chair and the crown prince chair, which is an elaborate replica of the original throne of King Tutankhamun, located in the Egyptian Museum, and the two statues of the brown and white torch bearers that symbolize the Kingdom of Egypt and Sudan. balcony on the second floor is decorated with two models of Luxor Temple and Karnak Temple, which were moved from King Farouk’s temple. toilet in the Haram area.
And another painting of wearing the jacket of the Kaaba during the procession that passes in front of the pyramids, and at the end of the ground floor five balconies overlooking the Nile and in them are suede chairs with a symbol cartouche in which the name of King Farouk is written in hieroglyphs, and a statue of Egyptian and Sudanese women, where Egypt and Sudan were one kingdom at that time.
● As for the last floor, it is a spacious roof that reveals a large area of the Nile River, designed for the king to see through the city of Helwan.
The museum exhibition contains a valuable collection of royal possessions, including furniture, antiques, statues and paintings, where the belongings in the corner amount to about 637 antiquities. Among the most valuable items in the museum is a watch that Queen Ogeni gave to Khedive Ismail on the occasion of the opening of the Suez Canal until it reached King Farouk. Also a desk clock made of gilded metal, which is a crystal. panel with 12 antique lobes and hands of pure gold, and decorate the crystal panel. With statues of pharaonic crocodiles in gold. A fine silver bonbonner weighing up to 11 kilograms, a group of rare statues as well as precious and wonderful bronze plates in addition to a group of vases. An old radio with a device for cylinders inside a Turkish walnut box in the shape of ‘ a temple decorated with some carved conical columns These columns have decorated crowns in the shape of a lotus flower and on them is written the name of King Farouk in the hieroglyphic language Treasures of the young pharaoh Tutankhamun, in addition to other pharaonic possessions, as well as the possessions of the king’s rest in the pyramid, formerly decorated in the Manial Museum in Cairo. Painting Artistic representation of the religious procession of the honorable bearer of the covering of the Kaaba within the neighborhoods of old Cairo, and it is carried on camels on its journey to Makkah Al-Mukarramah, where at that time it covered the Kaaba in Cairo.
The rest house remained for King Farouk until the revolution of 23 July 1952 AD, and after Farouk left Egypt, the rest room was nationalized, and in 1976 it was included in the Museum Sector of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, where it was subject. to the Antiquities Act which criminalizes its violation, as it should belong, and the rest are indeed included on the list of Historical monuments and museums.