The dining room, a place where the family gathers with guests over dishes; The above-mentioned space occupies an important place in the residential apartment, as it can occupy a separate room or open to other corners, especially the hall, the kitchen, or both spaces together. In this case, the dining area should appear as an extension of the space it overlooks. It is worth noting that the design of the dining room suits the owners of the house and the nature of their daily lives. In this context, “Madame” was briefed by the CEO of the “Art Deco Design” company, designer Nabih Afara, about things to be taken care of in the design of luxury dining rooms.
Whether the dining room is open to other spaces or stands alone in its place, it reflects family values. In terms of interior decoration, the dining room occupies the most important place in the house, as it reflects the personalities and style of the residents, and it is multiple elements, which include accessories related to cutlery or additions to the walls, table top and buffet. .
The designer explains that “in the current era, modern decoration tends to reduce the number of walls as much as possible and transform the space of the house into one space, that is, to open the living room or kitchen to the dining rooms , in contrast to the method that took into account traditions and customs, dividing the architectural space into separate units. ». Afara adds that “the open dining room is the perfect place to unleash the taste and highlight the design creativity.”
To achieve excellence and creativity in design, there are important trends to follow, including:
- Harmony in the selected colors and materials, this year it is possible to choose contrasting colors for the space, with the aim of making it dynamic in character, that is to say to focus on warm bold colors (orange, red and yellow) , or cold (green and blue) and combine them with black and white, which differentiates the decor and expresses the space its High artistic.
- On the other hand, it is correct to limit the choice of colors to those neutral (beige and gray), or “pastel” colors, which in turn work to achieve a calm, comfortable and harmonious visual extension between the dining room and other spaces . .
- As for materials, they are marble and wood, but the method of working with materials varies according to the style; Each style has the same type of renovated materials, such as: “resin” with wood or concrete materials, in floors and walls.
- It is worth noting that he chose to repeat the pattern used in one space or in several spaces. Currently, there is a new style that suits most tastes and is known as the “dramatic” style, which unleashes the creativity of the designer, whether his taste is elegant, contemporary or steeped in history. For example, a single space can be designed by unifying the style and everything related to the space, in terms of regular geometric shapes, or random shapes, with different pieces of furniture in shape, but unifying in a certain idea or arrangement that a space that tells a story.
Between the dining room and the space that opens to it, there are requirements that the designer must meet, so that his design work tells a story that is centered on the studied space from all sides. The idea of designing a single space that connects the dining and sitting areas (or the kitchen) leads to thinking about furniture pieces that will occupy the architectural space, because the choice of furniture, accurately, plays a big and important role to show the consistency between the two spaces. In addition, other things that complement the design cannot be overlooked, such as: the colors of the walls and floors, the materials used and the lighting sources, knowing that the latter beautifies and highlights the interior spaces. In the following, the principles of interior design used to open to the dining room and any other space, regardless of the nature of the latter:
- Dining room furniture connected to the living room: The dining room contains two main elements: the table in the middle, and the chairs that coordinate with it, with the addition of some other pieces, such as the “buffet” and some accessories that add elegance to the place . Therefore, care must be taken to choose the appropriate furniture, which is in harmony with the living room furniture.
- The shapes of dining room tables: the shapes of dining room tables, their sizes and the materials used in their designs vary according to the style chosen for the place. For example, the dining table can take a shape of geometric or non-specific shape, in harmony with the furniture in the living room open to the dining room, according to the available space, the smaller the space, the choice of oval or circular shape seems appropriate, while any rectangular shape (rectangle, for example, or square) will not be practical because it will impede movement.
- Appropriate lighting: The lighting in the dining room achieves an atmosphere of harmony and balance on a large scale, with the spaces surrounding the aforementioned space, provided the lighting is in line with the times of the day. In the morning, natural lighting is used through large windows, but in the evening, lowering the level of lighting is the most suitable option, while providing various sources of lighting in the place, including: “spots” that provide a soft, warm and attractive background, and focused lighting above the table, such as: the chandelier Or any lighting unit that hangs above the buffet to highlight the place and characteristic lighting that reflects the aesthetic side and is designed under the shelves, behind the mirrors or inside the “buffet” cupboards. According to the designer, the trend is to choose a pendant chandelier according to the length of the table top, with a design that includes an abundance of cut crystals and small stones.
6 common design mistakes
There are common mistakes in dining room design:
1 Forget to provide enough room for movement in the space of the table.
2 Avoid choosing the appropriate lighting, according to the size and shape of the table.
3 Ignore the choice of comfortable chairs.
4 Excessive distribution of accessories.
5 Choosing a set of large pieces of furniture, in a way that hides the view of the table.
6 Separate the dining area from the adjoining rooms.
- Images courtesy of Art Deco Design.