The need for the presence of more than one design style appears under the roof of the house, to express various cultures, as well as taste that appreciates every beautiful thing, regardless of its source. This need is particularly translated through the fusion of classicism with modernity. In this context, the interior designer Rowaida Al-Kharrat talks about the characteristics of “neo-classic”.
It is known that the classical style spreads a luxurious appearance in the interior spaces, especially that the said design style is very dependent on decorations, inscriptions, natural raw materials (marble, wood, gold, mirrors) and velvet fabrics… The aforementioned crowded details require spacious spaces with high ceilings to stand out. On the other hand, the “modern” style tends to employ “clean” and clear lines and neutral colors, in addition to simplicity in furniture and soft accessories, and uses finishes and materials available to everyone, including: iron , wood , and industrial materials (porcelain, ceramics, and others).
Harmony or contrast?
The owner of the house must specify at the beginning of the project whether his goal is (a) to achieve harmony between the classic and “modern” styles, or on the contrary, the pleasant contrast in the decor; Each style has its own characteristics, but the balance between them achieves a simple space, while the contrast is enough to provoke visual contrast. In this context, choosing one of the two models is worth 80% of the space, with the base model being grafted onto a secondary model (20%). For example: when the modern style is chosen to dominate the interior design, it is solved by means of furniture, carpets and accessories, while the presence of the classic style is limited to plaster cornices or wall frames and mirrors. In other cases, the classic style takes the lead and leaves the matter of the small details to the “modern” style… In general, ways to combine two interior design styles include:
1 Repeat the use of colors, textures, patterns, motifs and shapes, in different ways, in more than one place in the space. As for colors, the general rule calls for ditching that eye-catching color while replacing it with light and neutral colors. To avoid boredom with pure white, it is preferable to replace it with cream, beige, blue-grey, light gray or calm green. On the other hand, it is recommended to distribute gradations of pastel colors with other shades of chocolate, or touches of gold, bronze and earth with dark green, dark blue, black or even bright red colors, in the framework of graphics and decorations on textiles and wallpaper. But it is necessary to settle for three or four color gradations at the latest, so that the design does not lose its power and elegance.
Follow more: modern bedroom decorations step by step
2 Plaster frames in ceilings and walls look smooth and simple, and note that the walls are often painted white, with some parts of the said surfaces covered with wood or marble.
3 A luxurious crystal chandelier descends from the center of the room’s ceiling, knowing that the chandelier can be combined with modern lighting units and sources (spots, for example). In general, it is preferable to avoid excessive distribution of lighting units, focusing on sunlight.
4 The “parquet” or hardwood, in warm and calm colors, covers the floors, which on the other hand can be worn with an alternative to marble, such as: porcelain and ceramics, to reduce the budget allocated for housework.
5 Accessories are distributed to beautify the interior spaces, without exaggerating, and include: vases, mirrors, classic candlesticks, antique clocks, natural plants arranged in small ceramic pots… On the other hand, choosing the right cushions is a effective way to combine these two styles, knowing that it is sufficient to use One or two cushions embossed with geometric or botanical patterns, in natural and warm colors.
Stay tuned for more: Living room decorations with a fall flavor
Interior design ideas for multi-identity spaces
- In the entrance and corridors, if the ceilings are high, classic chandeliers are installed, the walls are covered with simply designed wallpaper, and modern accessories are distributed, with the importance of a large mirror framed by a soft frame, in addition to a elegant seat that spreads a modern classic touch.
- In the living room, modern furniture in neutral colors looks appropriate, as well as walls framed by classic frames (French panels) and some soft accessories scattered in the attraction (or favorite corner).
- In the dining room, a modern dining table and chairs upholstered in fabric, with wood paneling on the walls, create a warm atmosphere.
- In the bedroom, the decor should be modern and calm, with cube-shaped side tables with metal bases and streamlined lamps with metal shades.
- In the kitchen, it is advisable to be careful to reduce the holes and decorations in the doors of wooden cabinets, and the tendency towards calm modern colors and the use of quartz (or porcelain) to cover work surfaces.
- In the bathroom, glass, metal and ceramic materials are preferred in damp areas, with a tendency towards light, warm and neutral colours, in the context of wall and floor coverings.
Read more: Decorating tips for a warm modern home