Interior design, or what is known in some countries as decoration, is one of the most popular disciplines in the current period. In this article, we knock on the door of specialization in interior design and related conditions, opportunities and other matters.
What is the specialty of interior design?
Interior Design is one of the departments of the College of Design and Art, which is the art and science of designing spaces and the internal spatial environment in facilities and buildings.
The concept of interior design specialization is closely related to architecture, as it focuses on bringing out the spatial environment in its best form through attention to small details.
Although attention to the spatial aesthetic component is old, interior design in its current sense is considered a new thing.
Even when the term decor appeared in the 1950s, it was not in the orderly way that design looks like today.
What is interior design all about
– Psychological comfort.
– The material used.
The entire internal distribution of the building.
Aesthetics and decoration.
Design ceilings and floors in addition to distributing furniture.
Features of studying interior design
- Freelance opportunity without waiting for official jobs.
- The possibility of self-marketing of projects.
- Take advantage of his knowledge in the care of home decoration.
- It is considered as one of the ways to make lucrative profits.
- It has become a prerequisite in engineering and map design offices.
Study Interior Design in Saudi Arabia
Many universities in the Kingdom have made it possible to study interior design for male and female students who have a passion in the world of design and fine arts in general.
Requirements for admission to the Interior Design major
- The student must be of Saudi nationality, or of a Saudi mother.
- He must not be less than 17 years old.
- No more than three years had passed since his high school graduation.
- His high school average must not be less than 60% for the scientific track, and 75% for the other tracks.
- Complete the enrollment application manually or electronically through the university’s website.
- Preparation of the necessary documents, including copies of the secondary certificate, personal photographs and the identity card.
- Pass the entrance test set by the university.
- Success in testing skills and abilities.
- Pay the seat reservation fees and the first semester.
Are you majoring in interior design academically or literary?
Since the specialty of interior design and decoration is sometimes related to engineering and urban planning sciences, and other times to technical sciences, we find that most universities allow registration in the design specialization for students of the scientific track.
While students from the rest of the tracks can register for an interior design major, provided the high school average is not less than 4/5.
Despite this, we may find a difference in the admission policy from year to year, therefore it is always preferable to refer to the universities’ websites, and before that the Ministry of Education’s website to know the latest developments in admission.
Interior design study system
The registered student is subject to a test before accepting his affiliation request for the interior design major, and among the test is the measurement of the student’s drawing skill.
Therefore, if the student is not good at drawing, this may affect the probability of his acceptance.
Study period in interior design
A bachelor’s degree in design and decoration is awarded after four academic years with eight semesters.
The number of study hours varies from one university to another, but it varies between 155-160 hours in most universities, and we find that the number of study hours for this major at King Abdulaziz University is 128.
Does interior design have a foundation year?
Yes, the first year is foundational or preparatory, in which university requirements are studied, and some of the most important courses of the College of Design and Art, or Architecture and Planning.
A cumulative GPA of no less than 2.5/5 is required in the foundation year in order to specialize in one of the departments of the College of Art and Design.
Skills needed by an interior designer
- Basic arithmetic operations.
- Communication and connection skills.
- The ability to access information.
- Generate ideas and turn them into indicative drawings.
Departments of the College of Design
After successful completion of the preparatory year, the student can register for the specialization he desires under the following design specializations:
- Interior design.
- Visual arts.
- Fashion design.
- Animation design.
- Musical design.
- graphic design.
Interior design material
The study plan for the interior design major is concerned with the basic principles of architecture and planning on the one hand, and art and drawing sciences on the other.
The study plan in most universities contains compulsory and optional subjects List of the main interior design subjects in most universities
- computer design
- Decoration in interior design
- Sociology and psychology of interior design
- Perspective and shadows
- Specifications, quantities and professional practice
- Special Topics in Interior Design
- Textiles and upholstery
- Display and output methods
- History of architecture and modern interior design
- Furniture design
- Specialized Furniture Design
- garden design
- Interior design
- Computer designed.
- Decoration design.
Programs needed by an interior design student
The design study depends on the use of various technical assistance programs in the study process, including:
AutoCad: It is used to draw diagrams.
3D Max: It is used to show 3D imaging.
PhotoShop: This is used to show the general layout and 2D imaging.
Examples of some study plans for interior design majors
You can also view the study plans for this major in some universities by visiting the following links:
Where can I study interior design?
There are many universities and scientific institutions in the Kingdom, either governmental or private.
First: some public universities
- Gazan University.
- Taif University.
- Taibah University.
- Princess Noura University.
- Jubail University College.
- King Bin Abdulaziz University.
- King Abdul Rahman bin Faisal University.
Second: Some private universities
- Effat University in Jeddah.
- Jeddah International College.
- Prince Muqrin bin Abdulaziz University in Madinah.
- Onaizah Colleges in Qassim.
- Prince Sultan University in Riyadh.
- Dar Al Uloom University in Riyadh.
- Prince Muhammad Bin Fahd University in Dammam.
- Al-Asala University in Dammam.
- Dar Al-Hekma University in Jeddah.
Interior design for girls
The specialization in interior design is considered one of the appropriate specializations for girls for the following reasons:
- Girls enjoy wide imaginations and great creativity.
- Possession of good artistic girls and a beautiful taste that helps to distinguish.
- The specialization’s reliance on digital technology allowed the students to excel in it; It offers the possibility to learn or work from home.
- Work in this specialty is characterized by its lack of routine and monotony, which provides the opportunity for girls to practice it freely without restrictions.
- The major requires certain skills from its student, such as: good listening, persuasive skills, hard work and punctuality.
Is an interior design major required?
Yes, an interior design graduate is required in various engineering offices, where engineering agencies focus on providing integrated engineering services, from the moment of the initial design of the facility, to the planning of all the small details in the smallest areas of the facility. building.
The specialization of design has become an urgent necessity; This is due to several reasons, including:
- The comfort that the arrangement in the building space brings to yourself.
- Investment in interior design in creating an attractive environment for customers.
- Compete with other institutions to get more promotional opportunity for products.
What are the career opportunities for an interior design major?
- Work in engineering offices.
- Work in real estate offices.
- Work in companies interested in design.
- Freelance work.
- Design consulting office.
- Construction and finishing companies.
- Work in the field of training courses.
- Teaching in colleges and institutes.
- Work in research centers.
- furniture companies.
interior design major salary
Interior design graduates can start earning while studying through freelancing on the internet, or through self-marketing and client acquisition.
It is also possible to get an official job in the government or private sector by applying for the announced employment exams.
On this basis, the salaries of workers in the field of interior design are as follows, taking into account the level of practical experience:
- The minimum salary for interior designers is 7500 riyals.
- The maximum salary limit is 23,000 riyals.
- Work experience affects the grade and salary level.
- The salary includes other allowances and bonuses, such as: housing, transport.
Would you recommend an Interior Design major?
To answer this question, it is necessary to first mention the advantages and disadvantages of this specialization.
First: the positive
- Good source of income.
- An opportunity to learn the basics of drawing.
- The possibility of self-employment.
- Many institutions need it, especially commercial ones.
- Pay attention to the aesthetic appearance of your home.
- Develop artistic talent.
- Gain practical experience, such as: project management, communication with clients.
Second: the negative
- Difficult to find a job opportunity without sufficient experience record.
- He must focus on the smallest details.
- The necessity to enroll in training courses during and after university studies.
- Work pressure and spend long hours at work.
- Some clients did not interact with the aesthetic ideas proposed by the designer.
- Exploiting the designer’s family members and friends by embarrassing him by asking for free assistance and advice.
Also Read: Physiotherapy Majors Studied in Saudi Universities and Fields of Work
With this we have come to the end of our article in which we talked about the specialty of interior design and the main features that distinguish it, and which are related to it.