Good choice of materials, fabrics and colors, is the starting point for designing a bedroom similar to a luxury hotel suite. In this context, “Madam” of the architect, interior designer and CEO of IFA Interior Design Company, Sima Ahmed Al-Mansoori, looked at specific points to make the bedroom luxurious and comfortable, simulating spending time in a five-star hotel.
Modern bedroom design
Modern design points related to the luxury bedroom design include:
• Use wooden panels (or wallpaper) to cover the walls.
• To adopt the neutral or calm colors of the place, such as the shades of blue in general or any other color that expresses the personality of the occupant of the room.
• Refrain from choosing furniture and large accessories with ornaments, as in the classic style.
• Maintenance of the ceiling or (the fifth wall), as the engineer Al-Mansoori called it, and the floors.
• Pay attention to the way in which the furniture is distributed, in a way that makes as much use of the void as possible, especially the place that receives the bed, the most important piece in the bedroom.
• Achieving consistency between the room’s equipment, including the bed and its accessories, wardrobes, tables, cupboards – if any – the bathroom and the sitting area. In this context, says Al-Mansoori, “The designer must find appropriate solutions for everything that can create a sense of discomfort in the place, such as circumventing the height of the ceiling by adding a long headboard that helps visually to reduce its height, and focus on making the space balanced.” And she adds that “chaos is absent in the hotel room, since there are no unnecessary items on the table or side tables,” pointing out that the secret of the comfort that hotel units convey in the same guest may be due to the adoption of neutral or earthy colors or shades of gray, away from sharp colors;
Stay tuned for more: Shop contemporary luxury home accessories
The dressing room of the master bedroom has a shelf, glass cabinets and places to store accessories, perfume bottles, bags and shoes. In this space, lighting plays the most prominent role, especially when distributed around the mirrors, in addition to the hidden lighting distributed between the shelves of cabinets. It is preferable that the clothes corner has an acceptable space, which enables the woman to move freely in it. In case of lack of the necessary space, it is preferable to see from the corner, with only the wall cabinets.
Every detail of the bedroom draws attention to the bathroom, which complements the luxurious palette of decor. In this context, it is not preferable that the bathroom door faces the entrance to the bedroom, with the importance of studying the space’s needs, in terms of lighting, the method of distribution of tools and their number. Note that attending the bath requires a special arrangement, as well as if the occupant of the room requests to add a corner for ablution with low sinks, with a careful study of the locations of pipes, wires, air conditioning openings and air intake, and work to hide it, taking into account the decor of the walls and the quality of the floors.
One of the ideas that can be inspired by hotels with contemporary design is the glass bathroom that is open to the room, if some consider the said design impractical. It is also useful to learn about new technologies in making the materials used in the place, to ensure the most comfort and safety, such as anti-slip materials in certain places or those that are anti-moisture. However, marble pieces with different shapes and textures prevail in the luxurious bathrooms, which are equipped with accessories, and are rich in details, such as: hidden lighting, taking into account the harmony with the colors and materials of the bedroom.
It is preferable to allocate a space in the bedroom to accommodate the hobbies of its occupant, such as a quiet reading corner next to the window. The corner is furnished with a comfortable chair, with an armrest, simple shelves for books, as well as a corner for coffee and the preparation of cold drinks, near the seat.
Ideas: Put a small desk in the room, a table with suitable lighting for writing or for carrying out simple tasks.
The bed must have a size of 180 x 200 centimeters, and the back must appear as part of the wall, extending over the entire latter, upholstered or covered with wallpaper. On the other hand, some people prefer the bed, which is free from the back, to focus the design work, on the wall behind it.
Bed accessories, such as the mattress, pillows and blankets, should be given the effort to think and plan, knowing that these items will not need to be replaced in the short term. In this context, the selection is focused on soft, comfortable and luxurious fabrics, especially American white cotton for sheets, the cotton that is softer, with many washing times, and suitable for all seasons of the year. An indication that most hotels often choose white for bed sheets, towels and bathrobes.
On the side of the pillows, it is recommended to use more than one type, size and color for them, and then arrange them in such a way that the clear contrast in the type of material and decorations highlights, without flooding the bed with them. In this regard, feather pillows look luxurious, but they are not suitable for sensitive individuals. In addition, pillows covered with covers of natural silk or satin have benefits for the skin and hair, since they maintain the moisture of the latter and prevent the appearance of wrinkles …
The cover in turn maintains the cleanliness of the bed, as well as defines the character of the room, especially when it is chosen luxuriously. In this regard, there is a range of suitable materials, such as: satin, silk, organza, hand-embroidered material and decorated with stones.
It is worth coordinating the fabric and color of the curtains and that of the bed covers. In general, blackout curtains are suitable for the bedroom, or they are multi-layered (a thick layer and a transparent one) to block direct sunlight and gain privacy. Note that long curtains promote intimacy in the place.
Regarding the sizes of the curtains, when detailing them, it is necessary to take into account the size of the room.
The size and design of the carpet is one of the factors that influence the preparation of a balanced and warm decor, and even defines the sections in the bedroom, such as when a carpet is spread in the special session attached to the bed , and the piece its surroundings extends to the bottom. It is known that there are different forms of carpets; Rectangular, circular or oval, each of them is chosen according to the shape of the room and its sections.
Because relaxation is the main goal of the bedroom design, lighting must be considered important because it is influential in this context, taking into account the provision of a balanced amount of it, either directly or sideways that enables the occupant of the room to read before bedtime, or those that shake off the elements Precious objects in the room, such as models, pictures and paintings, without neglecting the role of natural lighting.
Here are some mistakes related to bedroom lighting:
• Distribution of lighting units, spaced from each other according to specific distances, which reduces the quality of lighting, thus giving a gloomy atmosphere to the room, with a high consumption of electric current. On the other hand, it is always advisable to choose additional lighting units that focus on certain elements.
• The desired lighting design may not match the bedroom’s decor, or may be incorrectly installed to emit little light.
• Omitting the importance of shadows. For example: placing the lighting unit above the head results in the entire face being covered, making it difficult to apply make-up on the table. The same applies to all workplaces, such as: the office, if any.
• Use bright or white lighting. On the other hand, warm white lighting suits the place or yellow, regardless of its degree.
Stay tuned for more: Sofa Designs for Contemporary Living Room