The mirror is honest, transparent and reflects beauty and ugliness, representing both faces in nature, and it is a scandal for the defects of the face and the body.. whether small in size or large, the mirror finds a place for it in every home, and performs various functions in interior decoration, especially with the designers mastery in working with this material Low cost and undeniable aesthetic effects …
People first saw the reflections of their faces in pond water or water kept in earthen jars, and the reflections were pale. Then the first mirrors were made of obsidian in Anatolia about eight thousand years ago, and later in Mesopotamia and Egypt of polished copper. At a later stage, the mirrors were fashioned from polished stone in Central and South America, from bronze in China and India, and from painted glass in the first century in Sidon in southern Lebanon. However, the world waited in 1835 for the German chemist Justus von Liebig (1802-1873) to develop a process for coating the surface of glass with metallic silver. This technology, and its improved modifications, has been credited with the mass production of mirrors as we know them.
Currently, the presence of mirrors used in the interior spaces enchants the hearts, especially when crystal is used in designs that increase the value of decoration, enlarge it and perform practical functions, which in addition enlarge and brighten the spaces. ..
Wholesale advantages of mirrors
The presence of mirrors in the interior spaces is not without its positive aspects, according to the Egyptian interior designer, Nora Fares; Especially with large mirror solutions in narrow homes. However, regardless of the size of the mirrors, the latter create a feeling of spaciousness and depth in the void, and beautify the rooms. In the context of the good distribution of mirrors in the interior spaces, Engineer Nora invites readers to:
- The installation of a large mirror on the dining room wall behind the “buffet”, which reflects the lighting of the chandelier and accessories on the table, and achieves elegance, richness and depth.
- To place a mirror in front of any painting for the purpose of extending its view from more than one angle.
- The choice of a mirror to accompany any attractive work in the decor, which doubles the attractiveness of the latter.
- The use of small horizontal mirrors for narrow corridors between rooms, to give the illusion of their spaciousness during movement.
- The ceiling of the architectural void is covered with a mirror, to represent width and depth, as well as to beautify the design.
- To place a mirror on the wall behind the bed, to support the decorations with an elegant touch, and to rejuvenate the room, so that its occupant does not get bored.
- Add mirrors to the dressing room to achieve aesthetics.
- Wall coverings with mirrors, especially in contemporary open spaces.
- The placement of a mirror above the “console” table whose surface is decorated with antiques or vases for an elegant and striking appearance in the entrance of the house.
Regarding the mirrors used in the “modern” decoration work, the engineer says that “the cheaper the interior decoration elements, the more elegant the design looks. Therefore, the plain transparent mirrors enhance the scene. On the other hand, the engraved mirrors do not match not the “modern” design, but instead tends towards a bit of old-time classic.The engineer values the outer frame of any mirror, as the frame can be coordinated according to the desired decorative plate, while the mirror will remain transparent.
Distraction and noise
Mirrors attract dust, which requires constant care for the cleanliness of said surfaces. In addition, the engineer warns against distributing mirrors in the wrong way in the interior spaces, which causes distress, dispersion and noise, disturbing homeowners and guests, as well as when the use of transparent surfaces in one space is exaggerated.
4 common mistakes in renting mirrors
According to the engineer, common mistakes in interior decoration, when using mirrors, include:
1 Placing the mirror in front of any door, especially the front door of the house, which reflects the positive energy before it enters and thus prevents its entry.
2 The installation of two pairs of mirrors facing each other, causing an energetic and chaotic movement in the energy of the space.
3 Place the mirror in a place that reflects the image of the bed, or behind the person sitting at the office, or facing the latter’s door.
4 The choice of a place for the mirror, to the light of the window or door, which causes a strong reflection of the latter in the room and makes him feel uncomfortable.