What is new, in the context of the design of the decor of contemporary homes kitchens, or the space of the latter expanded or narrowed, independent or joined to the reception area?
A question that “Ma’am” brought to interior design engineer Amy Kassem, whose projects span between Egypt and the United States of America, she came back with the following.
In reading books for the primary school stage, as in children’s stories, the kitchen is “feminine” in the sense that it is a special space for women, or it can be called “the kingdom of women” in the context of the definition of their roles in society, despite the fact that cooking is a hobby practiced by many men, Or even it represents a craft for them or they do it while women are busy with other things.. On the other hand, making the design of the contemporary kitchen the latter an inclusive space, so that all family members share it, to carry out various activities, including, but not limited to: the lesson about the “counter”. “Work in the spacious kitchen or office, in addition to meeting for meals, maybe watching TV…
Key points in contemporary kitchen design
According to Egyptian interior design engineer Amy Kassem, the transformation of the independent kitchen into an “open space” that connects to the lounge area is a design that represents a cultural evolution of the concept of the kitchen, which is no longer just a food preparation not. area, but rather an area that has a great influence on the home decoration.
On the other hand, the engineer says that “the kitchen space, however small, does not stand in the way of implementing an elegant and practical design, since the content of the space has become little, within the framework of contemporary designed, and organized, in a way that allows for easy movement within the place.” It focuses on the following points, in the design of the kitchen:
- Cabinets are an integral part of the design.
- The presence of the “island” or “the counter” in the main kitchen, no matter how small the space is.
- Neutral paint colors, especially grey, cream, ivory and pink, are finally in fashion.
- Lighting plays an important role in the design.
- It is important not to choose soft ceramic floors, to avoid slipping.
- The electric kitchen appliances, especially the refrigerator and the gas oven, are stainless steel and fingerprint designed, and painted in black, in line with the current fashion, knowing that the electric appliances are incorporated into the design.
New items for the kitchen
Engineer Amy asks for the selection of the basic kitchen materials, very carefully, from:
1 Wood covered with a layer called “HPL”, that is, treated chips that are resistant to scratching and to high temperatures.
2 Or wood covered with “Polylac”, which means the “environmentally friendly” material developed in such a way that it looks shiny to the point of brilliance, similar to mirrors in reflection, as well as scratch and heat resistance, with easy cleaning.
3 Or PVC panels, the latter being a form of heat, water and fire resistant plastic.
Work triangle in the kitchen
The “work triangle” is a term that expresses a specific path for the way in which the contents are presented in the space, as follows: The dishwasher, refrigerator and gas oven are distributed in a way that allows movement between the mentioned points, as a triangle, during cooking, which makes the design more comfortable and efficient. To achieve a “work triangle” in design, there are two general methods:
- Display the contents in the kitchen in the shape of the letter L: The above design is suitable for a kitchen with limited space, so that the appliances in it look perfectly distributed, that is, the dishwasher on one wall, and the refrigerator near the gas stove on the opposite wall, with easy movement between the mentioned points, according to the “triangle” path.
- U-shaped display of the contents in the kitchen: The aforementioned design is used in the spacious kitchen, with a gas sink on one wall, a dishwasher on the second wall, and a refrigerator on the third. It is therefore easy to move between the mentioned points, according to the “triangle” path. In the case of the presence of the “island” or the “counter”, the latter is located in front of the sink of the sink, with the gas oven integrated into it, with the deposition of the third wall of any additional detail desired in the design .
On the other hand, if the kitchen is very small, the storage units are distributed, with the sink, the refrigerator and the gas oven on one wall. In this case, the above “triangle” shape is not formed.
4 decorating tips
1 The design idea that requires the gas oven to be installed directly under the window is excluded, since the air leaking from it can extinguish the fire during cooking and also bring dust to the food in the pot.
2 There is no objection to preparing the kitchen design in such a way that the place of the sink is located directly under the window.
3 The washing machine is excluded from the kitchen, especially if the size of the space is small. On the other hand, it is advisable to find a place for the above device in the bathroom.
4 It is correct to use light colors in kitchen paint. The matter of the light color applies to the ceramics that cover the floors and walls, creating a feeling of spaciousness within the place.
Neutral paint colors are finally popular for kitchen walls, especially grey, cream, ivory and pink