The city of Luxor today celebrated the opening of the house (Hoard Carter), the discoverer of the tomb and treasures of King Tutankhamun, after undergoing restoration and development works through a project carried out by the American Research Center in Egypt in collaboration with the Ministry has been implemented. of Tourism and Antiquities and funded by the US Agency for International Aid.
The celebration began with the keynote address of the conference, delivered by Dr. Zahi Hawass, the former Minister of Antiquities and Egyptian archaeologist, titled “Tutankhamun: His Family, Death, and the Valley of the Kings after the Departure of Howard Carter.” The first session of the conference saw lectures by Lord George Carnarvon and Lady Fiona Carnarvon, who are descended from Lord George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon, who funded the excavation of the tomb, and during the upcoming oath the conference other distinguished testify. lectures.
Also read | A tour of Carter’s house, discoverer of Tutankhamun’s tomb after its development| Video and photos
It is worth noting that “Carter’s House” lived in Howard Carter, the discoverer of King Tutankhamun’s tomb, which is located on the west bank of Luxor. These works have been combined with the presentation of new signs for visitors and a modern and historically accurate presentation of the house’s interior design and furnishings that reflect additional information about what life was like on the West Bank in the early twentieth century and interesting details about the functions of the house and its various specialized rooms.
About the date of its foundation says Dr. Louise Bertini, Executive Director of the American Research Center in Egypt, that the Carter House was built in 1911, and later expanded after the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb to serve as a place for recording and studying the antiquities discovered in the tomb is. On November 4, 1922, after nearly a decade of searching, Carter’s team found the first twelve steps leading to an entrance sealed with seals bearing the name Tutankhamun. That memorable day marked the beginning of a ten-year project that included the discovery and preservation of 5,000 thousand artifacts in the cemetery and their transfer to Cairo. During that period and until his death in 1939,
She adds that the American Research Center in Egypt has restored the house, the importance of which is due to the fact that Howard Carter, the discoverer of the tomb of the young king “Tutankhamun”, stayed there at the time of the discovery of the grave. , as it is located near the entrance leading to the Valley of the Kings. Its restoration was funded by the US Agency for International Development and the Adina Lee Seven Family Foundation and in partnership with the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities. On this occasion, a great celebration was held today, hosted by the American Research Center on the occasion of its official reopening to the public after its restoration and development.
Dr. Bertini added that the Carter House restoration project included the execution of some construction works and the reformatting of the green spaces, and these works were combined with the provision of new guidance panels to visitors and a modern and historically accurate presentation of the interior design of the house and its furniture. As a result, some repairs were carried out to deal with the problems caused by the water that damaged the structure of the mud brick house, and some modifications were made to the green spaces to prevent any similar damage in the future . A buffer zone free of water is established around the house.
Dr. Luispertini emphasizes that the American Research Center has made a great effort to create an interactive and exemplary experience for home visitors. After November 4, 2022, visitors to the Carter House will enjoy reading comprehensive guide plates in Arabic and English and viewing archival photographs that provide the context of the social and political circumstances surrounding the discovery of the tomb and the many great Egyptian and foreign personalities who attended participated in that massive discovery. It will also provide additional information about what life was like on the western continent in the early twentieth century and interesting details about the functions of the house and its various specialized rooms, such as the photographic darkroom. The new information on the website will be supplemented by a virtual tour of the house.
Carter lived near the entrance to the Valley of the Kings in a mud brick house he had built in 1911. The house consisted of one central hall with a dome, a study and a photo laboratory, original elements that survived. the past 100 years. In 1939, ownership of the house passed to the Egyptian Antiquities Authority, and it was later used as a rest house for antiquities inspectors. In 2019, the Carter House was restored and opened to the public for the first time as a tourist and cultural attraction.
Dr. says. Nicholas Warner, Director of Cultural Heritage Projects at the American Research Center in Egypt “The Carter House restoration project and the updated information provided to its visitors has ensured that this relatively contemporary heritage site continues to provide awareness and knowledge about the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb and about the life of Carter to all his visitors. The success of this site is due to its success. The project is based on the well-established collaboration and strong partnership between the American Research Center in Egypt and the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities, and on the support of donors and technical partners.”
It is worth mentioning that the American Research Center in Egypt was established in 1948, and it is a private, non-profit organization consisting of educational and cultural institutions, specialized scholars and ordinary people. The center contributes, through grants, field work and excavation schools, which it provides in partnership with Egyptian entities, to the achievement of the common goal of preserving cultural heritage The strong relationship between the center and the Ministry of Antiquities (formerly the Supreme Council of Antiquities) have ensured the success of our joint work over the years.