It comes within the framework of the celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the discovery of the tomb of King Tutankhamun, which is organized throughout the day in Luxor Governorate, in collaboration between the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities and the American Research Center in Egypt.
The opening was witnessed by archaeologist and former Minister of Antiquities Dr. Zahi Hawass, former Minister of Antiquities Dr. Mamdouh El-Damaty, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Dr. Mostafa Waziri, CEO of the Egyptian General Authority for Tourist Activation Amr. El-Qadi, Executive Director of the American Research Center in Egypt Dr. Louise Bertini, and a number of leaders Department of Tourism and Antiquities and American Research Center.
The opening was also attended by a group of ambassadors from various foreign countries in Cairo; Among them are the United Kingdom, Poland, Italy, Mexico, Croatia, the European Union, the United States of America, Denmark, Chile and Singapore, as well as the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Egypt, the Canadian Cultural Advisor, a number of heads of foreign archaeological institutes in Egypt, representatives of local and international media, and a number of Egyptian and foreign bloggers and influencers. From a number of countries with a high follow-up rate.
The Minister, the Governor and those present toured the rest house, during which they listened to an explanation from the Director of Cultural Heritage Projects at the American Research Center in Egypt and the Director of the Restoration Project, Dr. Nicholas Warner.
The Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, Dr. Mustafa Waziri, in a speech during the opening, said that today’s celebration is the 100th anniversary of the discovery of the tomb of the young king Tutankhamun, a discovery that fascinated the whole. world. The Supreme Council of Antiquities and the Qurna Antiquities District in Luxor, the Embassies of the United States of America and the United Kingdom, and the American Research Center in Cairo.
Waziri briefly mentioned a number of events organized by the ministry during the last period, which drew the world’s attention to Egypt and contributed to the revival of the inbound tourism movement, especially the celebration of the transfer of royal mummies, the celebration of the opening of the Rams’ Road, and the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the decipherment of ancient Egyptian writing and the rise of a science Egyptians.
He referred to the existing cooperation between Egypt and all countries in the field of archaeological work, and explained that there are approximately 250 foreign archaeological missions operating in Egypt from 25 countries around the world, including the United States of America, France, the United Kingdom and Germany, which also shows joint and unprecedented cooperation with many countries of the world. To help Egypt recover many artifacts that traveled abroad illegally, 29,000 artifacts were recovered over the past three years.
He emphasized that Egyptian archaeological missions have been able to dazzle the world with their latest archaeological discoveries in recent years.
He concluded his speech with thanks from Egypt – the land of civilization and history – to all his colleagues in archaeological work in all countries of the world, especially in light of the various aspects of cooperation with them.
In turn, director of cultural heritage projects at the American Research Center in Egypt and director of the restoration project, Dr. Nicholas Warner, said that the Carter House restoration project and updating the information provided to its visitors is the continuity of this relatively contemporary heritage site in providing awareness and knowledge about the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb and about the life of Carter. To all its visitors, note that the success of this project is due to the solid collaboration and strong partnership between the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities and the American Research Center in Egypt and to the support of donors and technical partners.
Carter’s Rest House is located on the western mainland of Luxor and is known as “Carter’s House”. The restoration project is from February to November 2022 in partnership with the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities and with funding from the United States Agency for International exported. Development and the Adina Lee Seven Family Foundation officially reopened to the public after its restoration and development.
The Carter House restoration project included the execution of some construction work and the reformatting of the green spaces. These works were combined with the provision of new signage to visitors and a modern and historically accurate presentation of the interior design of the house. and his furniture. As a result, some repairs were made to address the problems caused by the water damaging the structure of the mud brick house. Some modifications were made to the green spaces to prevent similar damage in the future, and a water-free buffer zone was created around the house.
An interactive and exemplary experience has been created for visitors to the house. Visitors to the Carter House will enjoy reading comprehensive guide plates in Arabic and English and viewing archival photographs that provide the context of the social and political circumstances surrounding the discovery of the tomb. and the many key Egyptian and foreign figures who participated in that massive discovery.
It will also provide additional information about what life was like on the western continent in the early twentieth century and interesting details about the functions of the house and its various specialized rooms, such as the photographic darkroom. The new information on the website will be supplemented by a virtual tour of the house.
The house was built in 1911, and was later expanded after the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb to serve as a place for recording and studying the effects discovered in the tomb. On November 4, 1922, after nearly a decade of searching, Carter’s team found the first 12 steps leading to an entrance sealed with seals bearing the name Tutankhamun. That unforgettable day marked the beginning of a ten-year project.
The project included the discovery and preservation of 5,000 thousand artifacts in the cemetery and their transfer to Cairo. During that time and until his death in 1939, Carter lived near the entrance to the Valley of the Kings in a mud brick house he had built in 1911. In 1939 the house was transferred to the Egyptian Antiquities Authority, and was later used as a rest house for antiquities inspectors. In 2019, the restoration of the Carter House began for the first time and opened to the public as a tourist and cultural attraction.
Refers to the discovery of the tomb of King Tutankhamun in full on November 4, 1922 by the British archaeologist Howard Carter. King Tutankhamun was one of the most prominent kings of ancient Egypt throughout the ages, and his archaeological treasures continue to attract the world’s attention, and are scheduled to be fully displayed at the Great Egyptian Museum after its opening.