What is new, in the context of the design of the decor of contemporary home kitchens, whether the latter’s space has been expanded or narrowed, or become independent or joined the reception area?
A question posed by “Ma’am” to interior design engineer Amy Kassem, whose projects span between Egypt and the United States of America, she returned with the following.
In reading books for the primary school stage, as in children’s stories, the kitchen is “feminine” in the sense that it is a space for women, or it can be called the “woman’s kingdom” in the context of defining their roles in society, although cooking is a hobby practiced by many men. Or even it represents a profession for them or they do it in the light of the women’s preoccupation with other matters.. On the other hand, the design of the contemporary kitchen makes the latter an inclusive space, shared by all family members, for various carrying out activities, including but not limited to: the lesson at the “counter” “Working in the spacious kitchen or office, as well as meeting for meals, maybe watching TV …
Key points in contemporary kitchen design
According to the Egyptian interior designer Amy Kassem, the transformation of the independent kitchen into an “open” space, so that it joins the living area, is a design that represents a cultural development of the concept of the kitchen, which is no longer just a area to prepare food, but rather an area that has a major influence on the home decoration.
On the other hand, the engineer says: “The kitchen space, no matter how small it is, does not stand in the way of implementing an elegant and practical design. The content of the space has become little, within the framework of contemporary design, and organized in a way that offers ease of movement within the place.” It focuses on the following points in kitchen design:
- Cabinets are an integral part of the design.
- The presence of the “island” or “counter” in the kitchen is essential, no matter how small the space.
- Neutral paint colors, especially grey, cream, ivory and pink, are finally in fashion.
- Lighting plays an important role in design.
- It is important not to choose soft ceramics for floors, to avoid slipping.
- Kitchen appliances, especially refrigerators and gas ovens, are made of stainless steel and fingerprint resistant, painted black, in line with current fashion, and note that electrical appliances are integrated into the design.
New items for the kitchen
Engineer Amy asks for the selection of the basic kitchen materials, very carefully:
1 Wood covered with a layer called “HPL”, that is, treated chips that are resistant to scratching and high temperatures.
2 Or wood coated with “Polylac”, that is, the “environmentally friendly” material, and developed in a way that looks shiny to the point of gloss, similar to mirrors in reflection, as well as scratch and heat resistance, with ease to clean make .
3 Or PVC panels, and the latter is a form of heat, water and fire resistant plastic.
Work in the kitchen
The “work triangle” is a term that expresses a specific path for displaying the contents in the space, according to the following: The dishwasher, refrigerator and gas oven are distributed in a way that allows movement between the aforementioned points, similar to a triangle during cooking, making the design more comfortable and efficient. To achieve the “work triangle” in design, there are two general approaches:
- Display the contents in the kitchen in the shape of the letter L: The aforementioned design is suitable for the kitchen with limited space, so that the appliances in it seem to be perfectly distributed, that is, the dishwasher on one wall, and the refrigerator nearby the gas stove on the opposite wall, with easy movement between the mentioned points, according to the “triangle” path.
- Display the contents in the kitchen in the shape of the letter U: The aforementioned design is used in the spacious kitchen, so that there is a place for the gas cooker on one wall, the dishwasher on the second wall and the refrigerator on the third. It is therefore easy to move between the above points, following the “triangle” path. In the case of the presence of the “island” or the “counter”, the latter will be located in front of the sink, provided that the gas oven is integrated into it, with the deposition of the third wall for any additional detail that is desired. in the design.
On the other hand, if the kitchen is very small, the storage units are distributed, with the dishwasher, refrigerator and gas oven on one wall. In this case, the said “triangle” shape is not formed.
4 decorating tips
1 The design idea of installing a gas oven directly under the window is excluded, since the air leaking from it can extinguish the fire during cooking and also bring dust to the food in the pot.
2 There is no objection to preparing the kitchen design in such a way that the place of the sink is located directly under the window.
3 The washing machine is excluded from the kitchen, especially if the size of the space is small. On the other hand, it is recommended to find a place for the mentioned device in the bathroom.
4 It is correct to use light color gradations in kitchen paint. The light color applies to the ceramics that cover the floors and walls, creating a sense of spaciousness within the place.
Neutral paint colors are finally in fashion for kitchen walls, especially grey, cream, ivory and pink