Profits and old vendetta.. Why is Trump hosting the Saudi golf tournament?

A resort owned by former US President Donald Trump in New Jersey is hosting one of the international golf tournaments invited from Riyadh, in a move that has sparked controversy, according to the New Yorker magazine.

A group of families of 9/11 victims who have long accused Saudi Arabia of aiding terrorists who carried out the attacks sent a letter to Trump on Sunday saying they felt “extreme pain, frustration and anger.” because of the decision to host. the Saudi-sponsored tournament at Trump’s National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey for three days starting July 29.

“The evidence against Saudi Arabia and its role in the attacks is clearer than ever, and despite knowing it, former President Trump accepted their money and allowed them into a country that was destroyed,” Brett Eagleson , head of the “9/11″ said. Justice” group and the son of one of the victims of the attack on the World Trade Center. September 11 events.

The group filed a federal lawsuit accusing Saudi Arabia of complicity in the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people on Sept. 11, 2001, according to the Associated Press.

It also sought the release of classified FBI documents related to Saudi Arabia’s role in the attacks.

The Saudi government has denied any involvement in the attacks. But family members said Trump blamed the Saudis in a 2016 interview with Fox News.

“Who blew up the World Trade Center? They weren’t Iraqis, they were Saudis. Look at the Saudi kingdom. Open the documents,” Trump said on “Fox & Friends.”

“The Quest for Revenge”

According to The New Yorker, on Monday, Trump indirectly responded to criticism from the families of the victims of September 11, when, through his social platform, he advised professional golfers who did not join the Saudi tour, which in some known in circles as the “Bonso Tour”, to “get money now.”

The magazine noted in its report that Trump “avoids talking about the events of September 11, or the letter of protest he received or talking about the assassination of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, or that the Saudi government through his investments in golf, football and other professional sports, is clearly trying to divert attention.” its oppressive and authoritarian nature.

John Hersh, director of programs at Democracy for the Arab World Now, a research and advocacy group co-founded by Jamal Khashoggi, said that Riyadh’s spending on sports is “part of a broader play by the Saudi regime in which people forget events and incidents like September 11 or the execution.” 81 people in one day, as happened recently.”

Hersh continued, criticizing the former US president: “Instead of acknowledging these matters, Trump wrote in his post that all golfers who remain loyal to the (PGA) Championship will pay a heavy and inevitable price.”

Trump referred to the antitrust cases being considered by the US Department of Justice over preventing the PGA Tour from participating in the Saudi-backed “LIV” tournament.

old enmity

The New Yorker indicated that Trump is not only trying to profit and make money by hosting that tournament, he also has a “desire for revenge” for the “BGE” tour that was pulled in 2016 during Trump ‘s successful presidential campaign, the championship. He is part of another course he owns, known as the “Trump National Doral,” which infuriates him.

Since he bought the course in New Jersey in 2002, he has invested heavily to make it worthy of one of golf’s four major championships.

But in January of last year, after the attack on the Capitol building by Trump supporters, the American Professional Golfers Association decided to withdraw the organization of its 2022 championship from the “Bedminster” course, and the president of the association , Jim Richerson, said at the time that associating the organization of the tournament with the Trump course “would hurt the brand.” and its ability to host many programs and jeopardize the continuation of its mission.

The decision comes after many politicians and others blamed Trump for the attack by his supporters on the Capitol building, which killed five people, and union executive director Seth Wu said at the time: “We find ourselves in a political situation. that we have no hand in.”

He added: “We felt that, given the tragic events of Wednesday, we could no longer hold the championship in Bedminster. The damage as a result would be irreparable and the only real course of action was to (the championship) leave.”

The association, which has a membership of 29,000 golf professionals in the United States, signed the contract to hold the tournament in Bedminster in 2014.

The Federation previously canceled the “Grand Slam” tournament at the Trump National Club in Los Angeles in 2015, following offensive comments the outgoing president made about Mexican immigrants in 2015.

Leave a Comment