Tourism promotion is one of the most important factors in attracting tourists and increasing inbound traffic. That is why we are publishing what the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities has presented regarding the tourism sector during the year 2022.
Tourism promotion and activation
A- Promotion strategies and campaigns:
Contracting with the American company McCann, one of the largest specialized international advertising agencies (August), to undertake the implementation of the international promotion campaign for Egypt in light of the media strategy prepared by the Canadian-English coalition.
• The launch of a number of campaigns on social media platforms and the purchase of advertising space for the marketing of the Egyptian tourist destination in foreign markets, including:
Harvest 2022 | Digital transformation and awareness … the most prominent achievements of the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities
Campaigns targeting European markets such as: Follow the Sun (March) Summer Season 2022 campaign in the UK, Germany, Italy, France, USA (won Best Tourism Ad for May 2022 in EMEA, according to Advertising Platform Colony International) – Relaunch of the Follow the Sun campaign to promote the 2022/2023 winter season in France, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States of America (October) – A campaign to promote the Egyptian tourist destination during the English Premier League matches (October-November ) to promote ) – A campaign on social media On the occasion of the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the foundation of Egyptology (September) – a campaign entitled “100 Years of Tutankhamun: Wonderful Antiquities” on social media (October-November) – a campaign to celebrate the centenary of the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb on social networking sites (November 4) – Campaign to promote sustainable tourism in Egypt under the slogan “A Civilization Inspired by Nature” in Germany, the United Kingdom, Italy, the United States of America and a number of Arab countries On the sidelines of the climate conference (November).
A campaign targeting the American market through advertising in Time Square, New York State, for a year (July).
Campaigns targeting the Arab market, such as: “Your holiday is with us” campaign to promote the Eid Al-Fitr holiday season 2022 (April), and the “Today in Egypt does not end” campaign to promote the summer season 2022 promoted (June).
“Egypt welcomes its guests” campaign in 11 countries to introduce the new facilities applied regarding the procedures for obtaining a tourist visa to enter Egypt (April).
A promotional campaign for the facilities approved by the Council of Ministers on the occasion of holding the World Cup in Qatar regarding entry visas to Egypt for supporters participating in the tournament and holders of the “Haya” fan card to visit Egypt, which included coordination with the Chamber of Hotel Institutions to offer discounts on hotel accommodation prices in some tourist cities for card holders, in addition to granting a 50% reduction in fees for visiting archaeological sites and museums during the tournament period ( November).
B- Internal and external activities and events
• The launch of the first edition of the Egyptian General Authority for Tourism Promotion Cup for the yacht race in March.
• Participation with the Ministry of Culture in a number of events in archaeological sites, such as the celebration of the sun’s perpendicular to the face of the statue of King Ramses II in Abu Simbel Temple in February – Dandara Music and Song Festival (March) – Abydos Music Festival (March) – Tell Basta Festival (May) ) – Suez Festival (June) – Alexandria Festival (August) – Saladin Citadel International Festival of Music and Song (August) – Hearing Religious Chanting Festival (September) – Rashid Festival ( September ) – Arab Music Festival (September).
• Sponsor and host of many local and international sports tournaments, festivals and events, for example: Luxor International Running Marathon – El Gouna International Wallball Championship – Egyptian International Open Platinum Wallball Championship – Egypt Desert Challenge Rally – Egypt Crossing Challenge Rally – El Gouna Rally – Pyramids Half Marathon – Cairo International Film Festival – Luxor African Film Festival – Aswan Women’s Festival – Alexandria Film Festival – International Drumming Festival for Singing and Sacred Music – International Festival of Culture and Arts – Miss World Tourism and Environment Competition – Birdwatching and Stargazing Festival in Port Said – International Forum for the Arts with Competencies Special “Awladna” – The International Exhibition for Hotel Supplies and Tourist Facilities HACE-Hotel Expo – The Maroon Five International Orchestra Concert in the Pyramids Region – The Pyramids Air Show 2022 in the Pyramids of Giza organized by the Ministry of Defence, represented organized by the Air Force – Stefano Ricci’s Italian Fashion House Celebration of the Jubilee Golden for him in the Temple of Hatshepsut in Luxor – the Forever is Now exhibition on the pyramids plateau AT – Disney Shows on Ice – a fashion show for the men’s group of the French fashion house Dior in the Pyramids of Giza.
• Organizing a number of events, such as an event marking the 200th anniversary of the birth of Egyptology at the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir (September), in addition to participating in an event marking the 100th anniversary of the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun in the Karnak Temple in Luxor (November).
• Take part as a main supporter of the “Competition for Peace” match in its third edition at the Olympic Stadium in Rome, under the patronage and presence of His Holiness Pope Francis, Pope of the Vatican (November).
• Organizing an extensive lecture to promote Egyptian tourism at the Egyptian Academy of Art in Rome, in which dr. Khaled Al-Anani, former Minister of Tourism and Antiquities, gave lectures (June), and organized two extensive public meetings to promote Egyptian tourism in Berlin and Munich, with Dr. Zahi Hawass speaking (July).
– Participation in many international tourism exchanges and international and regional exhibitions
London Tourism Exchange (WTM) in the United Kingdom – Berlin Tourism Exchange (ITB) in Germany – Madrid Tourism Exchange (FITUR) in Spain – Milan Tourism Exchange (BIT) in Italy – WTM Latin America Tourism Exchange in Brazil – Arab Travel Market (OTM) In Dubai – Leisure and MITT exhibitions in Moscow, Russia – IFTM Top Resa exhibition in Paris, France – UTT and UITM exhibitions in Kiev, Ukraine – TTG Rimini exhibition in Rimini and Eudi Show in Bologna and the international tourism -exhibition IGTM specializes in golf tourism in Rome, Italy – the exhibition Dykmassan International Diving in Gothenburg, Sweden – USTOA in San Diego, USA – IMEX International Exhibition for Incentive Tourism and Conventions in Frankfurt, Germany, and IMEX America in Las Vegas. The ministry also participated in two exhibitions in which Egypt was the partner country: the Belgrade International Tourism Fair (ITF) and the international tourism fair HUNGEXPO in Budapest, Hungary. Dubai Expo 2020 also participated in the exhibition of an artifact, a group of reproductions of artifacts, materials and promotional films.
.- Procedures and activities to improve promotional efforts
• August 2022: Finalize contracting procedures with an international company specialized in the field of public relations and crisis management.
• August 2022: contracting with a specialized international company, “Twenty31”, to prepare a strategy for the city of St. Catherine to promote.
• Production of a group of promotional and documentary films: including a documentary film for the restoration of colors for the temples of Luxor, Karnak, Esna and Dendera, and a film about St. Catherine (Land of Transfiguration).
International and regional cooperation
• Signing of a number of agreements and memoranda of understanding: a memorandum of understanding between the Supreme Council of Antiquities and the Museum of African Civilizations at the Ministry of Culture in Senegal (January) – a memorandum of understanding between the Supreme Council of Antiquities and the South Korean Cultural Heritage Authority (January) – an executive program in the field of tourism between Egypt and the Sultanate of Oman ((January) – Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation in establishing a skills council for the tourism and hospitality sector in Egypt (March) – Launch of the EBRD Country Strategy 2022-2027 (March) – Framework Memorandum of Understanding for the project to green Egyptian museums and world heritage sites and use solar energy Between the Supreme Council of Antiquities, the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) , the Industrial Modernization Center (micro-solar systems project), the United Nations Opv Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization “UNESCO” and the Islamic World Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization “ISESCO” (November).
• Participation in: The Egyptian-Omani Committee in Muscat (January) – the first regional conference on “Anti-money laundering and terrorist financing in investigations of art and antiquities crimes” hosted by Egypt (June) – the regional forum for the protection of heritage in times of crisis organized by the Arab Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (ALECSO) and the Lebanese Ministry of Culture in the Lebanese capital, Beirut (June) – The Fifth Conference on Egyptian Antiquities, held at the Faculty of History and Geography at the University of Complutense in the Spanish capital, Madrid (June) – The second session of the “Evora” forum, held under the title “A World of Tourism” in Nîmes, France (October) – 22nd Summit Meetings of the International Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (November) – Meeting of the 25th session of the Arab Ministerial Tourism Council (December).
• Hosted the 48th meeting of the Middle East Committee and the conference on “Tourism Awareness and Rehabilitation of the Human Element: Towards a Sustainable Tourism Society” (March).
• Reception of a number of officials from international bodies and from some major markets, such as: the Saudi Minister of Culture – Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, and the Director-General of the United Nations Headquarters in Vienna – British Secretary of State for North Africa and Central Asia, the Commonwealth and the United Nations – Chairman of the Committee for Culture, Tourism and Heritage in the French Senate – Minister of Hajj and Umrah in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia – Iraqi Minister of Culture, Tourism and Antiquities.
External antiquities displays
A number of temporary foreign antiquities exhibitions have been opened, which are an important source of financial resources for the ministry in addition to its promotional role for Egypt, namely:
August 17, 2022: The opening of the exhibition “Ramses and the Gold of the Pharaohs” at the De Young Museum in San Francisco, in its second stop in the United States of America, after the end of its exhibition period at the Hewson Museum of Natural Sciences