Decorative lighting units are similar to ornaments, add value to home decorations, and are considered collectibles desired by people, within the framework of decoration, so designers make efforts so that the units they create attract eyes to them, and they take inspiration from various sources, such as: nature and the “Art Deco” style finally, They use fashionable materials and colors to elevate their work to the level of highly artistic sculptures.
Contemporary decorating trends focus on lighting, of all kinds. Awareness is increasing of the importance of well-coordinated interior spaces, because the opposite can distort the interior decoration or disturb the eyes of the inhabitants, bearing in mind that the lighting design in the spaces affects the way the latter looks and people feel inside it. The game of light has many rules, but the application of the latter is enough to make any home radiate beauty.
In the following lines, the Palestinian lighting design engineer Amal Ibrahim, in an interview with “Madam”, focuses on the decorative (or decorative) lighting units. On the decoration, while some of the other units have a light effect on the walls and ceilings in different forms , which increases the value of the decoration.
Shapes, materials and colors
The uses and forms of the decorative lighting units vary, according to the engineer, and they include: chandeliers, chandeliers, decorative pendants / wall lighting in various forms, as well as hidden lighting in the walls, lighting of decorative paths, side shades”, floor lighting units, and optical fibers on ceilings and walls…. It follows decoration trends, in terms of the materials used, have become contemporary made of materials such as: marble, concrete and colored glass.
The above elements are also painted in contemporary colors, such as: grey-blue, olive green, copper oxide red, gray colors of gravel and cement, and “greige” which combines beige with gray and charcoal color, as well as gold, copper, and nickel (silver-white) glossy , white and black .
Follow more: How to coordinate outdoor lighting in your home garden?
outside the facades
About lighting, which is no longer popular in home decorations, in 2023, there are many:
- The “spotlight” or “underlight” with the optical lens (light source) that is at the ceiling level, while the alternative is the “spotlight” with the optical lens that is “immersed” inward so that the viewer does not see it.
- The “spotlight” with a light diffuser made of milky “acrylic” and with a diffuse lighting angle The alternative is to use “spotlights” with narrow, medium or wide light beams.
- Track/track lighting units whose transformer appears to be part of the track. These units fall back in favor of those whose adapter is hidden.
The game of light has many rules, but their application is enough to make any home radiate beauty
Summary of the types of lighting
Engineer Amal Ibrahim told “Madam” that “lighting design is the key to the success of any architectural project or interior (or exterior) design. Lighting affects people’s activity, mental states and moods.” And she asks for the selection of lighting units, accurately and in accordance with the stages of the interior and exterior design of the house. His employers are specialized lighting engineers.”
The engineer summarizes the types of lighting in the following points:
- General lighting: This allows people to see the general view of the place around them in general, and facilitates movement. This type aims to achieve equal levels of lighting in all parts of the room/place.
- Focused lighting: This aims to draw people’s attention to important elements in the place, such as: pieces of art, pictures hanging on the walls, antiques, indoor plants, or even the library.
- Task lighting: Provide a specific place in the room with special lighting that helps to carry out a specific work (or activity), such as: lighting the work surfaces in the kitchen or the reading corner in the living room (or bedroom).
- Decorative lighting: As the name suggests, these are stand-alone works of art.
Follow more: Designs and methods of lighting distribution in weddings
There are common mistakes in terms of home lighting. About these errors, the engineer says, “they are related to the method of installation, annoying glare, and…”. An overview of these errors is given in the following points:
- Use a large number of “spotlights” in the place, and install the units close to the wall.
- The use of fixtures with intense glare.
- The use of magnetic track light units in all parts of the house, without distinguishing one area from another.
- The use of linear strip lighting to create different shapes and decorations on ceilings and walls, without considering the resulting high glare, which is irritating to the eyes, noting that this glare causes vision problems and in the long run can cause headaches.
- Choose chandeliers of inappropriate sizes for the place in which you are located.
- Not following the rules for installing chandeliers, and failing to take into account the height of the place or room furniture.
between enlightenment and enlightenment
Some believe that the terms “illumination” and “illumination” are synonymous, with luminance representing the light that hits a surface, while illuminance is the light that reaches our eyes from a surface (the glow of lighting, for example).
Follow more: Decorating ideas for lighting bedrooms